In-the-canal (ITC) hearing aids are larger than mini-canal (MC) hearing aids. They are designed and sculptured to fit in the lower third of your external ear (cavum concha). Extraction cords can be fitted to ITC hearing aids to help insert and remove them from the ear.
Hover over to view ITC when worn
ITC hearing aids house a size 312 (Brown) battery. The typical lifespan of a size 312 battery is between 5-7 days, but this can vary depending upon the number of hours per day the hearing aid is worn, the severity of hearing loss and the technology level of hearing aid.
- More powerful than their size initially suggests and typically suitable for mild to severe/profound hearing losses.
- Ideal for somebody who has limited dexterity and reduced vision.
- Dual-microphones help to improve speech understanding in noise.
- Wireless and telecoil options
- Increased surface area means they are less likely to:
- feedback (e.g. whistle) due to acoustic leakage
- work loose whilst talking and chewing, especially if you have a straight and inclined ear canal shape.
- Not as discreet as invisible-in-canal (IIC) and completely-in-canal (CIC) hearing aids.
- Slight loss of natural acoustics provided by the external ear (pinna) that help with localising the direction of sound from in front and behind you.
- Telephone receiver needs to be held in slightly unnatural position over front microphone.
- As with all custom hearing aids, ITC hearing aids may need to be ‘re-shelled’ from time to time since the ear canal cartilage can change shape and size. This is not covered under the warranty and will require new ear impressions.